Please note that this admission criteria only applies to the full time courses and NOT to the part time courses, workshops and correspondence courses.
- The minimum academic requirement is a National Senior Certificate (NSC) – Matriculation (Grade 12) or an international equivalent.
- The minimum institutional admission requirement is also a National Certificate (Vocational) (NCC) Level 4 issued by the Council of Further Educations and Training.
- Candidates will be given an Online entrance exam which, if passed with 75% will allow the candidate to complete the final offline Application test which is designed to assess their admission-level capability. This entrance exam determines written communication skills, creative aptitude and technical abilities.
- Candidates who have obtained less than 60% for the final offline aptitude will first complete the Bridging Design Programme.
- The offline Application test can be completed via email and print, scan and return email or candidates can make an appointment to complete the test on campus.
- In order to support wider and more diverse access to higher education and efficient progression pathways with the higher education system, North West School of Design recognizes prior learning (RPL) for candidates that
hasnot obtained a Matriculation Certificate,but is aged 22 years. These entrants are able to apply for registration based on the RPL application which includes the Entrance Exam, submission of the RPL application form, an interview with the principal, and completion of the Bridging Design Programme which will assess their knowledge, skills, values and attitudes embedded in this qualification.
- Candidates from other institutions wishing to transfer to the North West School of Design will be considered on credit accumulation. Candidates must complete the entrance exam and submit their portfolio of work and
resultssheets, together with the RPL application form to the principal who will then evaluate their skills to determine if they can be admitted directly to second or third year or if they can be considered for partial exemption from the learning programme.
- Foreign candidates must obtain the required visas and study permits as well as
a valid temporary resident permits. Study permits are obtained from the South African Embassy/High Commission ofConsulate in their home country. Study permits should be valid for Protocol General Sales t/a NORTH WESTSCHOOL OF DESIGN.
- Prior training in sewing and arts are not admission requirements, but candidates must have a strong interest in fashion.
- Candidates must read, write and understand English. A certain level of proficiency in English is required for success in Higher Education studies. This includes a pass in English at A-level or O-level. Other post-school English language qualifications will be evaluated on merit.
Every day is OPEN DAY at NWSD! Yes, you can visit us anytime during the year, especially when classes are in full swing as we believe that this is when you learn best about how we do things around here. At the same time, we invite you to connect with us on