Gert-Johan Coetzee Fashion Bursary – 2019
2019 Applications for the R190 000-00 Fashion Bursary is now open.
1. Applicants should familiarize the Fashion Design course presented by North West School of Design. For more information on the courses and qualifications, go to https://nwsd.co.za/full-time/
2. The theme for the Bursary Application is Style Tribes #Subcultures. A style tribe or fashion tribe is a group of people that dress in a distinctive style to show their membership in this group. Style, is an ever-evolving, ever-changing expression of one’s truest self. Trends also change. Fashion evolves constantly. But even the most dedicated trend followers and fashion leaders among us all tend to fall into different fashion cliques— “style tribes or subcultures.” At any given time in fashion, we will find that there is dominating subcultures and style tribes that influence and inspire designers. Examples include #Boho, #Grunge, #Preppy, #Minimalists, #PowerPlayer, #Street Style #Hippie
3. To apply for the bursary, entrants should complete the online application available on www.nwsd.co.za and submit the supporting documents as specified. Fashion Design Applicants should submit the following electronically, (via the website application)
• 2 Designs based on any Style Tribe, A4 in size and in colour,
• Moodboard depicting style tribes and the necessary application form.
• Motivational letter about who you are and why you are a candidate for the bursary.
4. The winners of the bursary will complete his/her three years of tuition at the North West School of Design in Klerksdorp.
5. Bursary excludes accommodation, transport and meals.
6. The closing date for the competition is on 9 October 2018.
7. 10 Fashion Design Semi-finalists and will be selected by Gert-Johan Coetzee. Semi Finalists will be
announced by 15 October 2018. These semi-finalists will be contacted telephonically.
8. Semi-finalists will be given a further assignment to be completed and submitted by 29 October 2018. The
info of this assignment will be electronically submitted to their email addresses.
9. Thereafter, Gert Johan Coetzee will select 7 Fashion Design finalists. All finalists will be notified by the
end of October 2018.
10. All finalists will have to attend the Platinum Fashion Festival of North West School of Design which
will be hosted on 10 November 2018 in Klerksdorp.
11. All the finalists will be expected to undertake a one on one interview with Gert-Johan Coetzee. The winners of the bursary will be announced at the Gala event of the Platinum Fashion Festival.
12. The bursary competition is open to all current Grade 12 learners and to the general public with a Grade 12 Certificate.
13. The Gert-Johan Coetzee Fashion Design bursary winner will complete their three years of study at North West School of Design. The winner will complete a minimum of 2 internships, per year at Gert Johan Coetzee’s studio.
14. Winner, finalists and semi-finalists must be fluent in English.
15. Winner must be a South African citizen.
16. Winner must be able start his/her studies at North West School of Design in January 2019.
17. Gert-Johan Coetzee Fashion Design bursary winner will receive a sewing machine and an overlocker
machine courtesy of Bernina South Africa, to the value of R 33 000.00
18. Winners must have their own personal laptops with specifications specified by North West School of Design.
19. The value of the Fashion Design Bursary is R190 000-00.